Skip To Content

Glasgow Warriors 45 - 10 Zebre

Glasgow Warriors hosted Italian side Zebre at Scotstoun in their penultimate home game of the season in front of a sold out crowd and ran in seven tries to secure a bonus-point victory. Matt Fagerson scoring his first try for the club

After 11 minutes Glasgow opened the scoring when centre Nick Grigg received the ball about seven metres from the opposition line and managed to power his way through the Zebre defence. Peter Horne converted and the Warriors led 7-0.

The second try came eight minutes later when Henry Pyrgos set up Peter Murchie deep inside the opposition 22 and the full-back ran a lovely line to score 24 hours after becoming a father. Horne once again converted and the Warriors led 14-0.

The third try wasn’t far away. Italy international Leonardo Sarto broke from inside his own 22 up to the Zebre 22 and when he was brought down the ball eventually got out to Rob Harley who ran in his eighth try for the club.

The tries kept coming with good work from Henry Pyrgos and Chris Fusaro setting up Matt Fagerson for his first in a Glasgow shirt. The 18-year-old running in from deep inside the Zebre 22.

That was the end of the scoring in the first-half and Glasgow had to defend in numbers at the start of the second period with Zebre enjoying a period of possession inside the Glasgow 22.

After 55 minutes Glasgow won a penalty which they kicked long to touch and from around six metres out drove forward. Pyrgos got the ball out to Hughes who thought he had scored but the Warriors were penalised for blocking and the score was chalked off.

Sam Johnson before scoring his first try for the club

Glasgow’s fifth try came on the hour mark when Chris Fusaro broke inside the Zebre half and fed Sam Johnson who sprinted to the Zebre line and when he was brought down five metres out showed good strength to stay on his feet and drive over the line for the score.

Sean Lamont entered the action moments later, with Scotstoun crowd giving him a rousing reception following the news he will retire at the end of the season. George Horne then replaced his brother at fly-half and Glasgow’s sixth score followed.

Great play by the forwards saw them drive towards the Zebre line and flanker Matt Smith went over for his first Glasgow try for the club off the back of the rolling maul.

But Zebre were not giving up and went right up the other end to score through Kayle van Zyl, Guglielmo Palazzani missing the conversion.

Normal service was resumed in the final ten minutes, however, as Glasgow drove over the line, only for Sean Lamont to be held up.

But a seventh try did come with five minutes to play, as Alainu'uese tried to drive over following a fine step off the left foot.

He was stopped short of the line but the ball popped up in the tackle and fell into the grateful arms of Smith, who went over for his second of the night, but the conversion was unsuccessful.

Zebre got another consolation with two minutes to play as replacement Kurt Baker ran in a second for the visitors, but Palazzani’s quick conversion bounced out off the post. 

The Warriors now travel to Dublin to face Leinster two weeks tonight, before hosting Edinburgh at Scotstoun in the final round of fixtures the following weekend.

Latest News From Scot JCB

Welcome Martin Cannon: Scot JCB Group’s New Group Parts Manager


The Ultimate Excavator Experience: Meet the 370X and Conquer the Operator Challenge!


Tough to Beat – Meet JCB’s New 25Z-1 and 26C-1 Mini Excavators

05/04/2024 News

Redefining Reach: Exploring the Versatility of JCB Construction Telehandlers